Divorce With Children

divorce with children
How do I prove for tax purposes that my children live with me? (separated/divorce pending)?

I asked a question yesterday regarding my wife’s false income tax return. We are separated but not divorced yet — the children live with me and have during all of 2007. We do not have a written custody agreement yet. How do I prove to the IRS that the children live with me, what documents are needed?

The above answers are good. However, in cases with shared custody you should keep a calendar and note the nights the kids spent at your house. Whoever has more nights during the year wins the custody issue.

Jim Kirby, CPA/PFS, CFP, CFS