Jobs In Health And Fitness

What do I need to do to become a fitness researcher for the military?

I am starting from scatch-almost. I have no degree, but iam a certified personal trainer. I would like to do some research related things that have to do with health and fitness. I would really like to work for the government or military, what would that job title be labeled?
What fields of study should i focus on?
What are the best colleges in IL for this career?
without joining the military as i am ineligible

The military contracts this type of research out to various college/university research laboratories.